World War Burst: Part #8

Back to Campaign

[19:32:57] * Oxford changes topic to 'Watch the Skies! Volunteer for Auxiliary Early-Warning Duty!'
[19:36:28] <~Oxford> Dawn breaks early over St. Cheswhick's Academy, cutting through the thin layer of light fog in bright golden beams. The light streams through the girls' dormitory window, rousing them just slightly before the familiar tolling of the dorm-mother's bell.
[19:38:45] <Joslyn> "Hnng…" Joslyn rubs her eys, doing her best to ignore the bags that seem to have appeared from staying up almost all of last night thinking up plans for their mission. It was a lot harder than she'd thought, and it showed.
[19:40:59] <~Oxford> One room contains the three members of Cheswhick flight, in their usual quarters. The room next door quarters Durnhurst and Bruinham flights, for four girls total.
[19:41:37] <Joslyn> "Hey Kate…Els. you two up?"
[19:42:00] * Elsa doesnt notice the sun going up, she hugs her pillow as she sleeps with a silly smile on her face. The girl's wings twitch once in a while. She's also drooling quite a bit.
[19:42:20] <Caitlin> Caitlin leans up in bed and stretches to help herself wake up. She lets out a big yawn, "Ahhhhhhhh… Yes, I'm awake."
[19:44:50] * Joslyn yawns and tries to stretch but would much rather go back to bed. But she can't. "Today's the day, you know…"
[19:45:12] * Aerendis woke up at least an hour before sunrise, as she had become accustomed to in her old unit. As soon as the first rays of sun shine through the window, she gives up staring at the wall and begins getting ready for the day. First on her agenda is getting dressed. She finds her new outfit, a bit offput by how…fancy and clean it is. Despite her missing arm, she gets dressed
[19:45:12] * Aerendis with…acceptable speed.
[19:45:13] * Elsa mumbles something into her pillow and giggles, while asleep of course.
[19:45:35] <~Oxford> The bell begins to ring, and the muffled grumbles of their fellow classmates can be heard as they get ready for another day of school. Westfield, however, made it clear that he had plans for this morning, so it's safe to assume they're excused from class today.
[19:45:42] * Aerendis finishes up by folding up the unused left sleeve and pinning it to the shirt to make sure it doesn't flop around loosly.
[19:47:11] * Flaurentine has spent her time keeping to herself, close to approaching Ærendis but pulling back at the last second. Considering her condition, she's been wary of being out in public and has chosen a more "convenient" way to leave the room and meet the others. Of course, she's done so by spending as much of her spare time as possible mapping out the lesser-used rooms' distances from the dorm and not porting into wide-open spaces.
[19:47:13] * Elsa opens her eyes and yawns loudly, stretching all of her limbs (orange wings included), "I hate that bell." She says rubbing her eyes."
[19:49:49] <Joslyn> "I know Els. Not like we have any choice…today's the make-or-break for us." Joslyn sighs as she starts shedding her pajamas and gets in to her uniform, taking care to attach the bars denoting her as 1st Lieutenant to her shoulders.
[19:50:14] <Caitlin> "Is it really, Joslyn? It feels so sudden." Caitlin frowns slightly.
[19:51:36] * Elsa slowly and lazily does the same with her uniform, "Its something big so maybe, dunno, lots of magic is going to get thrown around." She yawns yet again and she struggles to get her wings into the back holes she cut and sew back together for fitting her wings through.
[19:51:53] <Joslyn> "You don't have to remind me. But this guy is arguably the highest-profile target Albea has that isn't an enemy general. And if we don't pull it off, there's going to be hell to pay."
[19:53:32] * Aerendis frowns as she looks around the room just a bit. Now that she's ready, she honestly doesn't have much idea where to go. She decides to try and find one of the squad she's a part of…After a moment, she decides on Flaurentine. She heads out.
[19:54:08] <Elsa> "Oh yeah…guided bomb guy." SHe keeps struggling with her shirt, a feather or two fall to her bedsheets, "Well…yeah."
[19:55:07] <Caitlin> "…I only hope Westfield's plan is well crafted and this ends quickly."
[19:55:44] <~Oxford> Meanwhile, Paige is up and dressed, but Madison is still snuggled deep under her covers. The older girl crawls onto her wingmate's bed and bounces up and down gently, punctuating each bounce with a cheerful poke. "Wake. Up. Wake. Up. Wake-up wake-up waycup!"
[19:56:16] <Joslyn> "I hope he has a plan, because I've got nothing that'll do anything."
[19:56:16] * Flaurentine spends her time outside somewhere, taking in the sights before it's time for the mission. So despite being unfamiliar to most of the students she leans against a wall outside.
[19:57:33] * Elsa finishes dressing up in her uniform and drapes the heavy coat over her back, she doesn't even bother buttoning it, theres not going to be many people walking around the hallways, nor they will be staying for long anyways.
[19:59:44] <Caitlin> Caitlin quickly dresses, herself. She always keeps her clothes nice and neat… Though that probably won't matter much once they transform. "I can't say that I'm not nervous for this one."
[20:00:01] <~Oxford> Aerendis finds the hallways already starting to empty of students, as they head to breakfast. Flaurentine is nowhere in sight, but she knows the room next door has three of the other girls.
[20:00:39] * Elsa finishes putting on her shoes and steps outside their shared room. "I'm hungry, some breakfast would be nice." She knocks on the other girl's door.
[20:00:43] <Joslyn> "If you weren't nervous, I'd assume something was wrong with you Kate."
[20:02:23] * Aerendis heads to that room, in that case.
[20:02:44] <~Oxford> The door Elsa knocks on bursts open - swinging inward, fortunately. Paige emerges with a smile, dragging Madison behind her by the cuff of the younger girl's blazer. "Morning!" greets Paige warmly.
[20:03:09] <Caitlin> Caitlin hesitates, unsure of how exactly to take that. She gives a stiff nod, "I suppose."
[20:03:45] * Elsa is a bit shocked as the door is swung from her mid-knock, she stares at Madison for a second or two before finally saying, "Want to get some breakfast?"
[20:04:44] <Joslyn> "yeah, that'd be helpful - no use trying to kill someone on an empty stomach, right?" Despite the semi-obvious attempt to joke, Joslyn doesn't sound all that funny.
[20:05:21] <~Oxford> Paige nods quickly, and Madison mumbles something about coffee.
[20:06:23] <Caitlin> "Ah, good morning you two." Caitlin's the last one over to meet with Padison.
[20:07:43] <~Oxford> Paige greets her, but then pauses. "Oh, hey, where'd Flauri go?" she asks, cocking her head to one side.
[20:08:06] <Elsa> "Lets just hope they left some food for us…no idea where she is."
[20:08:53] <Joslyn> "Knowing her, she's gonna pop out at some random time. Seems to be a hobby of hers - in any case she knows where the mess hall is. Follow me." Joslyn stands up and leads the newcomers to the food.
[20:10:41] * Elsa begins heading to the mess hall and motions everyone to follow, even Arendis if she's around.
[20:11:57] <~Oxford> Breakfast is well underway, the long tables bustling as girls from 6th grade to 12th eat and chatter amongst themselves. Joslyn finds a quiet spot at the end of the hall.
[20:12:23] <Joslyn> "So…can I make one thing clear here?"
[20:12:33] <Caitlin> "Please do."
[20:14:08] * Aerendis follows the others wordlessly after they walk past her to talk to Paige and Madison.
[20:14:38] <Joslyn> "As it stands now, I'm a First Lieutenant and your immediate commanding officer. This does not mean that I am better, stronger, or smarter than any of you, just that I was picked to run this operation. Make sure I don't forget that, okay?"
[20:14:57] * Elsa quickly heads to get some food and promtly ignores Joslyn's speech.
[20:15:51] <Caitlin> Caitlin raises her hand, just like in class, but refrains from interrupting Joslyn.
[20:16:06] <Joslyn> "…yeah Kate?"
[20:16:11] <~Oxford> Breakfast is a bit more spartan than usual - hot oatmeal with raisins and toast. They've arrived too late to get butter, it seems - the school has been doling it out in smaller quantities of late.
[20:17:33] * Aerendis listens to Joslyn's statement and then nods. "I'll make sure you don't forget that, Lieutenant."
[20:18:44] <Caitlin> "I don't believe this speech is strictly necessary, Joslyn. Please don't take this as disrespectful, but if at all possible, I believe we'd all prefer not to talk about this."
[20:19:28] <Caitlin> Oatmeal? That'll do, Caitlin likes oatmeal, so she gets some. Who doesn't like oatmeal? It's great. Deal with it haters.
[20:19:56] <Joslyn> "…yeah, that was probably a bit over the top, wasn't it? just treat me how you have been doing so and I'll be fine. Sorry." Ærendis' comment is noted and responded to with a smile.
[20:20:38] * Aerendis looks back at Joslyn's smile with a decidedly neutral expression and begins eating, gladly eating it all in record time. She's had worse meals. Often.
[20:20:46] <~Oxford> Paige digs in, only half-listening to Joslyn. "Mm, yeah, that's cool. I don't really mind getting passed up for the promotion."
[20:21:36] * Elsa munches along, "I don't care either way, its just not doing stupid things and working as a team out there, nothing too difficult."
[20:22:20] <Joslyn> "Don't worry, If we pull this off, I think all you all are going to be up for one." Joslyn shrugs as she scoops her last bites of oatmeal.
[20:22:47] <Joslyn> "..f'course, if we screw it up, don't count on being asked to do anything other than suicide missions…"
[20:23:49] <~Oxford> Madison, having disappeared from the table while nobody was looking, returns with a steaming cup of coffee. "Hrawwmn? What was that about suicide missions?" she asks, blinking sleep from her eyes.
[20:23:51] <Elsa> "Well, when we come back I was planning on doing a nice celebration…My powers are useful for some pretty nice things.."
[20:24:35] <Joslyn> "Let's focus on the mission at hand, first."
[20:24:46] <Caitlin> "But… Elsa, aren't there regulations on fireworks?"
[20:25:18] <Elsa> "Not fireworks…you'll see." She then goes back to munching her breakfast.
[20:25:50] * Aerendis finishes eating and begins tinkering with her right sleeve, getting a bit irritated that it won't stay on right. She considers asking someone to get new shirts without right sleeves. She looks to the girl to her right and asks. "Excuse me, can you help me with this…?"
[20:28:36] <Caitlin> Caitlin turns to Aerendis, "Oh, would you like for me to help adjust your sleeve?" Best not to make any sudden movements, but Caitlin is happy to help.
[20:30:13] <Joslyn> "I can probably find a needle and thread if it'd help."
[20:33:02] <~Oxford> Madison finishes her coffee and fidgets with her blazer, realizing the bottom buttons aren't lined up right. After righting it, she looks up. "Ah… are we supposed to report to someone, or…?"
[20:33:29] <Joslyn> "Major Westfield, probably. I can lead you to his office if you're all done."
[20:35:38] <~Oxford> "Wellll, I'm done, but if you guys are finishing up… I mean, I can wait…"
[20:38:41] * Aerendis nods at Caitlin, smiling a bit. "Yes, I'd ap-…appre…l-like that…Caitlin, right?"
[20:40:58] <Caitlin> Caitlin smiles and nods politely, "Yes, Caitlin's my name, but I suppose if you prefer some nickname that would be acceptable." She reaches over to set the sleeve in place properly for her, "Is this alright, Miss Aerendis?"
[20:42:47] <Aerendis> "Yes. Thanks, Caitlin. I…like it. No, that word doesn't work there…U-Uhmm…Thanks." Ærendis says, looking down at Caitlin's work.
[20:45:42] <~Oxford> Paige nods to Joslyn, leaning across Madison to grab a slice of badly-burned toast. "Yeah, Reik said he'd probably want to give us a brief before the mission. Er, not in so few words, though…"
[20:45:51] <Caitlin> "That's good. Please don't hesitate to ask if you have similar troubles in the future. I also wouldn't mind helping you study if you feel like you have catching up to do in any subject; our teams meet up relatively often, after all."
[20:46:19] * Joslyn stands up and leads the girls to Westifield's Office
[20:46:19] * Elsa looks at the Paigison and sighs, "Yeah, there is something you should know before we go out there…try and steer clear of my first attack if there are lots of enemies."
[20:47:01] * Flaurentine has probably showed up for the meeting by now, after having spent a peaceful time alone. Just maybe!
[20:49:26] <~Oxford> The Durnhurst girls take a moment to realize Joslyn has left, but they hurry to follow her to the office. "H-hey, wait up!"
[20:49:57] * Elsa didn't notice Joslyn leave either, "Hey!"
[20:50:12] <Aerendis> "I'd…like that, Caitlin. I haven't really been to a school since I was very young so…I think i'll have to catch up a lot."
[20:50:21] <Elsa> "Don't just leave without saying anything."
[20:50:38] <Joslyn> "Oh, sorry." Joslyn lets the others catch up
[20:52:19] <Caitlin> "You can definitely count on Flauri, as well. She's far more reliable than she would have you believe. I'm happy to help you learn what you've missed, though. Education's very important, you know!" Caitlin nods emphatically, "…Ah, they left without us. We should catch up." As the resident expert, she leads the way!
[20:52:46] <~Oxford> They're already at the thick wooden door to Westfield's office by the time everyone is assembled. There are voices from inside, indicating that several people are already present.
[20:53:14] * Aerendis quickly follows after Caitlin! "Ah, yes. I was looking for her earlier, but I couldn't find her. I hope to ask her questions when we aren't busy…"
[20:53:19] <Elsa> "So…should we knock?"
[20:53:38] <Joslyn> "Yeah…might be a good idea."
[20:55:26] <Caitlin> "Her ability to… teleport means she can be very hard to find sometimes, but I'm sure she has a reason."
[20:55:50] <Elsa> "She'll show up, she always does."
[20:55:55] <Flaurentine> "Ex… cuse me…" A small voice comes from a corner where it totally seemed like nobody was at before. Standing there is timid little Flaurentine, of course, dressed for the occasion. "Um… I'm… here actually. Let's try our best today." It's easy to tell she's had issues focusing because of the small cough that follows, but she tries her best to stifle it.
[20:57:28] <Elsa> "See?"
[20:57:28] * Aerendis turns to face Flauri. "Oh! I didn't see you, I apologize. I'm…my vision isn't as good as it used to be." she admits, before continuing. "Do you mind showing me around once we're done with all this, Flaurentine?"
[20:58:41] * Elsa shrugs and knocks loudly on the door.
[20:58:53] * Flaurentine gives a quick apologetic gesture, the permanent blush on her face ever-showing as she even looks a bit flustered. "N-No, I'm the one who's sorry! I wanted to look at the school Miss Caitlin and the others attend… I should've asked first. But ah… I'd love to." Her face is now alight with a smile.
[20:58:59] <Flaurentine> .. Cough.
[21:00:44] <~Oxford> The voices inside the office go silent, and after a moment the door swings slowly open. Major Reiker holds the knob, glaring malevolently at the girls. Except for Madison & Paige, who get something that at least attempts to be a smile.
[21:00:59] * Aerendis smiles in return to Flauri, glad to be getting along with some of the other girls already. Well, as close to 'getting along' as she knows. However, as Elsa knocks on the door, she quickly steels herself, preparing for the inevitably uncomfortable meeting with the Officers.
[21:01:05] * Elsa glares right back, what the hell is his problem?
[21:01:35] * Aerendis stares at Reiker, still put-off by last night.
[21:01:50] <Elsa> "Reporting for briefing…sir." She says quietly.
[21:02:00] <Caitlin> Caitlin avoids looking directly at Reiker; he greatly unnerves her.
[21:03:04] <Joslyn> "I assume we have a location for the doctor?"
[21:03:31] * Flaurentine gives Reiker a nod with a smile. Only her eyes show discomfort, and that's only a small percentage of her face because she's not an anime character. Is she? She might be! Regardless, her presence seems to fade as she quietly slips in behind the others.
[21:05:59] <~Oxford> "Ahem," says Westfield, holding up a hand to stop the seven girls from filing in. "I see everyone's here? We're a bit crowded, and I've slides prepared, so let's us the classroom across the hall, shall we?"
[21:06:34] * Joslyn stays silent as she lets the others head to hte classroom before going in herself.
[21:07:41] * Elsa goes to the classroom quickly, Reiker's gaze is really bad, not to mention the bloody bastard peppered everyone with gravel just last night.
[21:07:41] <~Oxford> In addition to Reiker and Westfield, Donalds is also present, corncob pipe jutting out from beneath his brushy salt-and-pepper mustache. The old officer's eyes twinkle a bit when he sees Flaurentine at the back of the group.
[21:08:42] * Flaurentine is a bit different, as her own eyes SPARKLE… but then get a guilty look in them that's just terrible to look at. While she's pleased to see him, she still keeps to herself and takes a seat as the others do, provided seating's arranged.
[21:09:13] * Aerendis quickly files into the classroom, stealing the seat next to Flaurentine.
[21:09:17] <Caitlin> Caitlin seats herself as far from Reiker as reasonably possible. What a jerk.
[21:09:42] <~Oxford> The classroom is smaller than most, more geared for tutoring or leading small group studies. The chairs all face toward the projector screen, and Westfield flips off the lights and starts up the slide machine as they take their seats.
[21:10:13] <~Oxford> He flips to the first slide: A grainy black-and-white photograph of an elderly man in a white lab coat.
[21:11:38] <Joslyn> "Our Target?"
[21:11:46] * Elsa assumes her traditional 'almost sleeping during lectures' pose merely out of habit but is quite awake.
[21:12:26] * Flaurentine watches attentively. She doesn't even bother to look to the side, that'd be rude!
[21:12:48] <~Oxford> "Dr. Viktor Tereshkova. One of Novgoraad's top weapons designers. Every area where the Novs are ahead of us, this man is responsible."
[21:14:03] <Elsa> "Except magic, right?"
[21:15:44] <~Oxford> Westfield nods. "But among those advances, the Argus-2 Pulse Bomb." He flips the slide, and two of the weapons, partially disassembled, appear on the screen, in what looks like a lab of some sort. "Cheswhick Flight managed to capture two specimens, which we've been analyzing."
[21:15:56] <Caitlin> "…Surely even magic must be based in science, though…" Caitlin speaks softly, not actually wishing to initiate such a debate.
[21:17:43] <~Oxford> He flips the slide again, revealing what in theory looks like a graph of some sort. The science of it is quite beyond the girls, though Caitlin might be able to make sense of it with a trip to the library.
[21:18:33] <Flaurentine> "W…" Flauri whispers the beginning of a sentence but shakes her head, going back to staring at the slides but with more worry than anything else now. Being responsible for disarming and recovering them, she already feels it may be her fault for uncovering something horrible.
[21:19:33] <~Oxford> "Analyzing the chemical composition of the particulate matter extracted from… er, at any rate, we traced bombs to a launch site, here." Another click of the slide machine reveals a map showing portions of the Gaulian coastline.
[21:21:38] <~Oxford> "This allowed us to establish an intelligence presence in the proper area, yeilding…" Westfield has been a teacher (or at least, a fake one) long enough to know when he's losing a class. "Essentially, Intelligence has figured out when Tereshkova will be visiting the facility."
[21:21:54] <Elsa> "So, we go there and raid the place."
[21:24:30] <~Oxford> Westfield nods. "Precisely, Warrant. We strike at 1200 noon, as the Target is observing the launch of the latest model of pulse bomb." The slide flicks to aerial photographs of the launch facility: several large hangers, a half-dozen launch rails, and what look like AA-emplacements.
[21:24:38] <Joslyn> "Raiding the place might be too obvious. The idea is to take care of Tereshkova without anyone knowing it was us."
[21:25:42] <Joslyn> But in that case, should we try to disarm or otherwise incapacitate the new pulse bombs before they get shot?"
[21:27:05] <~Oxford> Reiker clears his throat loudly, but Westfield ignores him. "Correct. Stealth is a secondary concern, here; your main objective is to neutralize the Doctor, the new-model bombs, and any research personnel present, in that order."
[21:28:49] <Flaurentine> "Understood, Sir." Flauri still doesn't speak loudly. "Ah… should I, um… monitor his location from a distance?" As if showing off her power, little Flauri makes a mock-motion of clapping her hands together. She tries to be humble and unintrusive about it though.
[21:29:35] * Elsa gulps, wow this might be really big, better get the ball rolling quickly.
[21:29:38] <~Oxford> He gestures to a small, square building at the corner of the facility with his swagger stick, tapping the screen lightly. "This is where we suspect the Doctor will be, along with his staff. AAA is located here, here, and here," he adds, pointing to each in turn, "and the pulse bombs are stored here. Any questions before I continue?"
[21:30:19] <Joslyn> "How are we getting in and out? Is Flauri going to teleport us in nd out, or are we gonna have to fly in?"
[21:30:24] <Elsa> "So we can burn the whole place to the ground then?"
[21:31:36] <Caitlin> "They haven't got any reason to expect us, do they?" Did she just glance at Reiker?
[21:32:58] <Flaurentine> "Ah… I… I could do that… um, I'll do what I'm told." Infiniblush. In truth she just wants to not do something WRONG.
[21:33:09] <~Oxford> Westfield turns to each girl in turn. "Not to be blunt, Warrant Elsa, but yes - everything in the facility is considered a target. However, the Intelligence folks would be very much appreciative if we could retrieve any documents or notes from the research building, so don't destroy that unless you don't have a choice."
[21:36:07] <Elsa> "Alright, got it."
[21:36:58] <~Oxford> "Warrant Parnocus: Because of the somewhat… 'erratic' nature of Warrant Flamenca's powers, we will be flying in. The distance is great enough that flying transformed the entire way may over-tax your Focus Pendants, so infil and exfil will be by modified bomber. A Model-4 'Avalanche' will carry you in range of the target and loiter nearby until you finish the mission."
[21:37:51] <Joslyn> "So it takes us to the drop point and we just jump out?"
[21:37:59] * Flaurentine gives a downcast look straight to the ground. "I… understand. Ah, um…" Shuffling around in her seat, Flauri raises her hand politely to be called on.
[21:38:38] <Elsa> "I…guess that makes sense…we can fly and all."
[21:38:43] <~Oxford> "Which brings me to Warrant Flamenca: Because of your role as combat-support, you will accompany the bomber and remain nearby to provide escort while the others carry out the mission. You'll coordinate everything from there."
[21:38:55] * Flaurentine lowers her hand and nods. "Understood."
[21:41:52] <Joslyn> "Don't worry Flauri. We'll make sure it's smooth sailing for you."
[21:42:09] <~Oxford> "And thus, Warrant O'Connell: While they should have no idea we're coming at the moment, we can't prevent them from spotting us mid-flight. Even if they do, however, they won't know our intended target or mission profile - a lone bomber looks more like surrveillance than an raiding party."
[21:42:13] <Elsa> "Its going to be as easy as making a pie."
[21:43:46] <Flaurentine> "Please… don't, um, worry about me. I-It's my job to make sure it goes well for you! I promise I'll do the best I can."
[21:43:49] <~Oxford> "One can hope," Westfield says, nodding. "Ahm, any other questions? Warrant Højgaard? Mitchell? Doyle?" The Durnhurst girls shake their heads silently.
[21:47:13] * Elsa waits for them to be ushered into the bomber and for the begining of the mission.
[21:47:46] <Joslyn> "I…assume we're only going to have this one chance to take this shot, yes?"
[21:48:51] <~Oxford> Westfield snaps his stick back down on the table and flicks on the lights. "Exactly. Once Tereshkova knows he's a target, we can't count on him showing his face again this close to Albaea. We only get one chance to do this right."
[21:50:25] <Joslyn> "…and if he somehow anticipates our arrival?" Joslyn glances at Reiker but only just.
[21:51:46] <~Oxford> He passes a brown folder to each girl. "These contain more aerial photographs; familiarize yourself with the layout en route. If he anticipates our attack - well, then he won't be there. And you could be walking right into a trap."
[21:53:13] * Elsa opens the folder and begins reading it…well she'll have more than enough time when they get into the plane, she promptly stops reading and closes the folder.
[21:54:55] * Flaurentine does the same, increasing in nervousness by the second. Well, at least the first part. Flauri looks over every detail she's allowed to in the time she's given, forcibly memorizing all of it. When you have traumatic amnesia you kind of learn to try to memorize everything all the time, really!
[21:55:22] * Aerendis nods as she takes the folder. "Ah, yes. Well, I wouldn't worry about it, myself…Traps like this are easy to spoil."

[21:56:15] <~Oxford> "You're to meet me in the parking lot at 0800; half an hour from now. From there, we'll travel to the airfield." Westfield clasps his hands behind his back. "Dismissed!"
[21:59:09] <Flaurentine> A salute, albeit still a nervous one. "Y… Yes, Sir." Even if she'll be separate from the others during the mission, which she's terrified by… well, Flauri is still Flauri.
[22:00:49] <Caitlin> Caitlin looks at it and seems to grow progessively confused. After a few minutes of intense staring at the folder, she turns to Flauri, "I… Ah… Is yours in a different language, too…?" She points to the text she received. It's in regular Albaean.
[22:01:16] <Joslyn> "…oh dear. I'll help you figure it out Kate."
[22:01:31] <Flaurentine> "Different? Ah… I-I don't see what you…" Flauri just stares at it, baffled.
[22:01:50] <Joslyn> "I-it's fine. I'll have it taken care of."
[22:03:00] * Elsa casully yawns, looks like its going to be a long day, and knowing their luck the bomber is probably going to be attacked mid-flight.
[22:03:08] <Caitlin> "…I don't recognize any of this. It's gibberish. They aren't even letters. I mean, look at this." Caitlin seems extremely frustrated as she points to the word the.
[22:03:16] <Flaurentine> "Are you sure? I'm worried about…" After a lengthy, worried stare she accepts defeat. "… Okay. I-I apologize."
[22:03:28] <~Oxford> Westfield excuses himself from the room, followed by Major Donalds, who is having a hushed conversation with him. After a short wait, Reiker rises stiffly and makes for the exit.
[22:03:46] <Joslyn> "Kate. Magic. word salad. I'll help you through it."
[22:03:49] * Aerendis stares, watching Caitlin. She's confused, wasn't this the girl that offered to help her study…?
[22:04:44] * Elsa looks at Cait confused…well it sometimes happens. Maybe Jos is right, magic can sometimes fumble things up…a lot.
[22:05:43] * Flaurentine gives Donalds a salute on his way out, even if he doesn't see it. Westfield as well of course.
[22:06:16] <Caitlin> Caitlin huffs and turns bright red, extremely embarrassed to look like such an idiot not half an hour after offering to help Aerendis. "I-I… This isn't normal, Miss Aerendis! I-it's just a magic flare up, please don't get the wrong idea!" Arghhhhhhhhhhhh. "…Well, would you mind reading to me then, Joslyn?"
[22:06:48] <~Oxford> Paige looks inquisitively at the small knot of girls, vaguely intrigued for a moment until she realizes Reiker has left as well. Then she hops up with a start and rushes after him. Madison watches her go and starts to follow, but pauses at the doorway and walks back toward the others slowly.
[22:07:12] <Joslyn> "Yeah. I'll read it to you on the flight over. just make sure to let me know when they change back."
[22:07:35] * Elsa looks at Madison, "Heya."
[22:07:43] * Aerendis frowns. "I-I…I apologize, Caitlin. I'm confused by Albaean text as well…" she says, sorry to have maid Caitlin feel badly.
[22:08:28] <~Oxford> "Um… hey…" Madison bites her lower lip and looks off to one side. "Erm, I wanted to let you guys know…"
[22:08:52] <Joslyn> "Everything okay?"
[22:09:57] <~Oxford> Madison shrugs weakly, a bit embarassed. "Not really. I um… don't think our COs get along very well…"
[22:10:04] <Caitlin> "Please don't be upset, but Albaean and literature are my strongest subjects. Something's just… malfunctioning in my brain right now." Caitlin nods to Joslyn with a quiet thanks.
[22:10:40] <Elsa> "Yeah, I noticed that too, you got any idea why?" SHe turns over to the other girls.
[22:11:10] <Joslyn> "Bad blood from the past, I think he said. I'd leave it to them. or is there something more to it?"
[22:11:31] * Aerendis frowns. "He looks at me strangely. Reiker, that is. I don't like him."
[22:12:26] * Flaurentine continues reading her folder, studying intently. It's almost as if she's not even there.
[22:14:00] <~Oxford> "Well, I tried to ask him, but that's about all I got. Something about their army days together." She tugs at the bottom edge of her jacket with both hands. "I wouldn't take it personally, Ms. Aerendis. He spent a long time fighting against the insurgents in Cimbria, so he's probably… got bad memories of that."
[22:15:11] * Aerendis frowns. "…I…see."
[22:15:47] <~Oxford> "Um, but that's not what I wanted to tell you. Yesterday, before bed, he said something odd."
[22:15:49] <Elsa> "Do you think Reiker will tryo to do something…no offense but he seems like really angry man to me."
[22:16:07] <Joslyn> "Don't take it personally Æren…oh? what'd he say Madison?"
[22:18:12] <~Oxford> "Ah… yeah, he gets really… frustrated, sometimes. But he's really nice!" she says, earnestly but not completely believably.
[22:20:17] <~Oxford> "But last night, Paige mentioned one of the Cheswhick girls - I'm sorry, I forget who - and he got this look in his eye." She bites her lower lip again. "And he said, 'She's irrelevant; I'm going to ruin her'."
[22:21:05] <~Oxford> "I-it was really out of character!" Madison continues quickly, gulping. "But that's what he said. He's been so stressed over this mission."
[22:21:45] <Joslyn> "…" Joslyn has a sinking feeling as to who that person was. "Can you promise me something?"
[22:22:10] <~Oxford> "Ahm? Yeah, I guess…" Madison looks at her shoes.
[22:22:23] <Elsa> "Yeah, I bet." She says flatly, "We can never have something good happen to us."
[22:23:23] <Joslyn> "Stick to the mission. Eliminate the doctor, steal any research we can find, and make sure there aren't any witnesses."
[22:23:59] <Joslyn> "If I see anyone, and I mean ANYONE, trying to sabotage this mission, I will take you down with me if I must. is that clear?"
[22:24:24] <~Oxford> "Yeah, of course." She nods. "After that, we'll be off of combat for a while. Maj. Reik's getting reassigned for a bit." She smiles.
[22:24:56] <~Oxford> "He said he had to be the prosecutor for some kinda court-martial or something."
[22:25:16] <Joslyn> "This just keeps getting better and better…" Joslyn sighs.
[22:25:47] <Elsa> "You got to be bloody kidding me." Sge yells out angrily and looks upwards, "Not funny!"6[22:27:01] * Aerendis frowns grimly. In her mind she has no doubt that the man was talking about her. It all fits together in her head.
[22:28:05] <Caitlin> Caitlin leans over to Ærendis and reassuringly whispers, "You go to the wrong school, Miss Ærendis. He wasn't talking about you."
[22:31:42] <~Oxford> Madison cocks her head to one side, smiling obliviously at the thought of getting her CO to a less stressful post. "Anyway, it'll all be fine after this mission, right? I'm gonna go get ready; see you guys later!"
[22:33:10] * Joslyn waits until she's out of earshot before sighing heavily. 1"I wish it was gonna be fine…"
[22:33:20] <~Oxford> With that, she walks out of the classroom, a light spring in her step, leaving the five girls behind to sort out the mess they're in.
[22:33:35] <~Oxford> /session