World War Burst: Part 3

Back to Campaign

[http://pastebin.com/xPHa11GF]
[22:58:58] * Oxford changes topic to 'DANGEROUS SUBJECT - DO NOT APPROACH WITHOUT SECURITY'
[23:01:30] <~Oxford> Elsa comes to in complete blackness. She feels disoriented, confused, as though waking from a deep sleep. Half-remembered dreams (or are they?) mix and mingle with memories of the previous night's events.
[23:02:33] <~Oxford> The darkness is caused by a heavy metal helmet, covering her entire face. She is barefoot; the floor beneath her feels like smooth, bare concrete.
[23:03:57] * Elsa slowly opens her eyes and tries to rub them, but of course the helmet blocks her way, she panicks and inches back in surprise.
[23:04:17] <Elsa> "Whhh-at? what is going on?" She sounds scared.
[23:05:12] <~Oxford> Her hands against the steel sound a hollow ring that echos in the enclosed space. Her own words are thrown back at her, mockingly.
[23:06:25] <~Oxford> From off to her left, she hears murmurs of conversation. She can feel a wall to the right and behind her - she seems to have curled up in one corner of the room, but it's hard to guess the exact size of the room.
[23:07:14] <Elsa> She tries to think how she got that way but it all is so fuzzy, all she remembers going to Westfield's office to ask to get locked up, oh god is this the end result?
[23:08:09] * Elsa totally doesn't remember anything and she feels something on her back rub against the wall.
[23:09:37] <~Oxford> There are fragments from past that, but nothing that runs together coherently. The horrified look on a classmate's face as she catches on fire. A cramped bomb-shelter and a massive explosion. Wings…something about wings…
[23:09:54] <Elsa> Her wings flap as she focuses on them eliciting a squeal of surprise.
[23:11:06] <Elsa> "Hey can anyone hear me?" she yells out
[23:11:07] <~Oxford> The murmurs grow more audible as her head starts to clear. "..finitely awake now…." "…ose'll have to go, I suppose…"
[23:12:38] <~Oxford> The voices fall silent, then one of them speaks up. "Warrant Officer Elsa, of St. Cheswhick's Academy for Girls?" it asks.
[23:13:00] * Elsa tries to stand up and head towards the voices. If she is able to discern the direction.
[23:15:26] <~Oxford> Her motion lets her feel a slight draft, and she realizes she is only wearing a hospital gown. She can take about three steps towards the voice before her fumbling hands find themselves grasping cold steel bars.
[23:17:34] * Elsa grasps them, and tries calling out, "Hey can anyone tell me what is going on?" She yells out, panicked
[23:17:48] * Elsa tries pulling on the steel bars to no effect.
[23:19:40] <~Oxford> The voice is soft and feminine, and something about her tone reminds Elsa slightly of the nurse back at the infirmary. "Relax, Miss Elsa. You're in good hands. We're aware of your incident and are doing our best to diagnosis what caused your episode."
[23:22:30] <Elsa> "What episode?" She asks, and then it all comes back in a flood, "Oh, god." She lets herself fall back to the floor. "Is westfield alright?"
[23:24:23] <~Oxford> "West…" Pages flip on a clipboard. "Your handler is perfectly alright. He was the one who subdued you and brought you here."
[23:27:16] * Elsa 's wings wrap themselves around her shoulders and she curls up, "I…really didn't mean to…I don't know what happened to me."
[23:28:14] <~Oxford> A different voice, terse and male, cuts in: "If you would, rise and turn away from my voice, please. I'd like to examine your… appendages."
[23:30:58] * Elsa 's cheeks redden under the helmet but she complies anyways. "…what are they?" She obviously doesn't know yet or hasnt figured it out.
[23:33:37] <~Oxford> The man ignores her question, instead muttering to his assistant. "Highly developed…not any native species…" "Operable?" a third voice inquires. "Maybe," replies the doctor, uncertainly.
[23:33:58] <~Oxford> "Miss, step towards my voice, keeping your back to me."
[23:35:03] * Elsa does so, "Like this? And can I get this helmet off?" She asks
[23:37:02] <~Oxford> Instead of a reply, she feels a dull poke against her wing, as though by the end of a pen. Her reaction draws further muttering from the scientists.
[23:38:12] <Elsa> That brings a yelp and a slight giggle from the girl. "Hey that tickles!" The girl complains.
[23:39:33] <~Oxford> "Very sensitive. Extensive nerve formation?" "Could just be unfamiliarity - I'd need a closer look."
[23:39:55] <~Oxford> "A step closer, please, miss," the voice requests authoritatively.
[23:41:42] * Elsa steps back, her wings poking from behind the bars, her back against it. "You know, you could just ask me if I feel them. Can we do something less embarrasing?"
[23:44:59] <~Oxford> Instead of a response, she feels a rubber-gloved hand squeeze her 'appendages' up and down their length, firmly but carefully.
[23:47:15] <~Oxford> "There. See how the joint is nested in interior to the scapula? It'll be tough - we'd have to go all the way in."
[23:48:18] <~Oxford> "Lasting damage?" - "Scarring, definitely. We're probably soon enough to prevent phantom limb syndrome, though."
[23:48:21] * Elsa begins laughing, and then her laughter turns into a cackle and the girl begins to spasm uncontrollably as she laughs, after a few seconds she pulls away from the bars.
[23:49:05] <Elsa> "Hey, you don't mean to cut them off? Right?"
[23:50:16] <~Oxford> The doctors appear to have finished their examination. The sound of a metal door creaking open can be heard as their voices disappear down the hallway.
[23:51:29] <~Oxford> "…prep for this evening, then." - "I'd like to be out before 7; I'm meeting Martha for dinner." - "Let's say 5, then…"
[23:52:29] * Elsa looks nervous, "Hey, are you serious?" She yells out.
[23:53:17] <~Oxford> A long silence follows. Elsa almost thinks she's been left alone, until she hears footsteps across the bars from her. Maybe the nurse is still there?
[23:53:25] * Elsa is actually angry they were going to do this sort of thing without even asking her.
[23:54:31] * Elsa tries calling out for the the nurse. "Hey please tell me they're not serious."
[23:55:57] <~Oxford> "I-I'm sorry, ma'am. I only know what I overhear, and you heard as much as I did."
[23:58:26] * Elsa tries to pull and pushes on the bars until she is tired, her wings flapping while she does that. Eventually she sits down and slumps, "Hey can you at least tell me how they look like?"
[23:59:04] * Elsa unconsciously wraps her wings around herself.
[00:01:54] <Elsa> A pair of feathers are on the ground thanks to her recent scuffling
[00:02:05] <~Oxford> "How they look…? They're…well, they're obviously wings. Sort of like a large bird, but color-wise…" The nurse pauses, thinking for a moment.
[00:03:40] <~Oxford> "They're colored like nothing I've seen: all orange and red, with flecks of yellow. Almost like flames in a bonfire."
[00:04:30] <~Oxford> "They're…pretty, I guess." She sighs. "But really, you'll never be able to live a normal life with those on your back. The doctors are probably right."
[00:07:28] <Elsa> "I grew up in the circus, even if I ended as a freak they would still accept me there. Its who I am, even if I changed with magic."
[00:11:38] <~Oxford> The nurse sighs, almost wistfully. "Oh, if I were still your age… This world isn't as forgiving as you might think…" She trails off, lost in thought for a moment. "Oh, but I'm sure you're right. Your friends will accept you no matter what you've done," she finishes awkwardly.
[00:14:09] * Elsa sighs loudly, "I'll always have a place to call home no matter what, can I at least get the helmet off?"
[00:17:21] <~Oxford> "I'm afraid not. As far as you're concerned, we're instructed to 'treat as armed at all times', whatever that means." Elsa can't see her eyebrows narrow, but the nurse's tone changes to match. "Also, you should know there are guards outside this room at all times; I wouldn't try anything."
[00:19:55] * Elsa curls up even tighter, her head is hidden by the wings. "Just leave me alone."
[00:22:13] <~Oxford> The nurse lets out another soft sigh, and her footsteps move towards the door. They're interrupted by a sudden creak as it swings back into the room on rusty hinges. "Ah, ma'am? We've moved the operation up; something about a piano recital."
[00:23:29] <~Oxford> The sounds of several pairs of heavy boots file quickly into the room. "She awake?" asks a rough voice.
[00:24:05] * Elsa perks up her wings flap out in a burst of air, "You getting me out?"
[00:24:37] * Elsa sounds cheerful, maybe she'll keep her wings.
[00:25:20] <~Oxford> "Guess not," replies another, "pass the tranq." His request receives a grunted reply and the sound of something unwieldy changing hands.
[00:25:49] <~Oxford> "Now hold still, honey. This might sting…"
[00:25:51] <Elsa> 2d6+6 force at the voices
[00:25:52] <DiceMaid-9001> Elsa, force at the voices: 13 [2d6=1,6]
[00:25:57] <Elsa> 1d6
[00:25:58] <DiceMaid-9001> Elsa, 1d6: 6 [1d6=6]
[00:26:07] <Elsa> 1d6
[00:26:08] <DiceMaid-9001> Elsa, 1d6: 2 [1d6=2]
[00:28:21] <Elsa> "GET AWAY FROM ME!" She flaps her wings as a burst of force and fire, mostly force emanates from her.
[00:28:48] <Elsa> The wings spark and glow menacingly.
[00:30:49] <~Oxford> Her efforts elicit a flurry of shouts and curses. There's a wet, meaty sound of impact as someone hits the far wall hard.
[00:31:07] <~Oxford> "Shit! Tag'er, Gunny!"
[00:32:13] * Elsa doesn't move from where she stands, "Don't you dare touch me, just…go away."
[00:33:49] <@Oxford> Roll cool and use it to fluff how awake you still are.
[00:34:04] <Elsa> mfw cool is my lowest stat
[00:34:32] <Elsa> can I roll agrro and try to burn to through the tranq with adrenaline?
[00:35:07] <Elsa> 2d6+3 cool, +7 if aggro idea is approved
[00:35:07] <DiceMaid-9001> Elsa, cool, +7 if aggro idea is approved: 9 [2d6=2,4]
[00:36:14] <@Oxford> mm you can fluff it was adrenaline, but you're still rapidly losing consciousness. One turn before you're out.
[00:35:10] <~Oxford> She hears the snap of the tranq gun going off, but it takes a moment to link that to the sharp pinch she feels just below her left breast. A questing hand finds a feathered dart, lodged firmly in her torso.
[00:39:06] <Elsa> 2d6+9 surround myself with a wall of fire.
[00:39:07] <DiceMaid-9001> Elsa, sorround myself with a wall of fire.: 13 [2d6=2,2]
[00:42:01] * Elsa with her last act of consciousness tries to make a wall of fire around her, welding torch hot, that fans outwards. "I'll…never…let…" is all she manages to say before she collapses on her side. The flames aren't as effective as she wanted them to be though.
[00:43:57] <~Oxford> The soldiers outside the cell wait for the fire to die down before entering to retrieve her limp body. Others swear and call for a medic as they tend to their wounded, but Elsa has already slipped back into the black of unconsciousness.
[00:47:36] <~Oxford> Elsa awakes briefly, perhaps an hour later, to find herself laying face-down on a stiff examining table. Her hands and feet are tied down; her struggles futile. A mutter goes through the crowd of gathered doctors as the anesthesiologist makes some adjustments to his gear. As she begins to fade again, she hears the blood-curdling whir of a buzzsaw starting up and coming towards her, closer and closer.
[00:47:42] <~Oxford> /session